In this day and age, you need to stay on top of protecting your computer and other devices. With the constant evolution of cyber threats, choosing the right antivirus and anti-malware software is crucial. Two popular options in this category are Malwarebytes and Webroot.
We’ve put Malwarebytes and Webroot through the paces to determine which one is the best. Read on to discover the differences between Malwarebytes vs. Webroot and which one you should choose!
Differences Between Malwarebytes vs. Webroot
- Type of protection: Malwarebytes primarily focuses on anti-malware protection. It is well-known for its ability to detect and remove various malware types, including ransomware, adware, and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs). In comparison, Webroot is a full-fledged antivirus solution, providing comprehensive protection against a wide range of threats, including viruses, malware, and phishing attacks.
- Compatibility: both Malwarebytes and Webroot are compatible with Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android devices.
- System impact: Malwarebytes is known for its low system impact, which means it doesn’t slow down your device while running. Webroot is also lightweight and designed to minimize system impact, but some users have reported occasional slowdowns during scans.
- User interface: Malwarebytes boasts a clean and user-friendly interface, making it easy for users to navigate and customize settings. Webroot has a slightly more complex interface, which may take some time for users to get used to, but it also provides a comprehensive range of options and settings.
Malwarebytes vs. Webroot Pricing
When comparing Malwarebytes vs. Webroot pricing, it is important to consider the various subscription plans and their features.
- Malwarebytes: Malwarebytes offers a free version with limited features, which allows you to scan and remove malware from your device. To unlock real-time protection, scheduled scans, and other advanced features, you can subscribe to Malwarebytes Premium. Pricing for Malwarebytes Premium starts at $39.99 per year for one device, with discounts available for multiple devices and longer subscription terms.
- Webroot: Webroot also offers a free version of its software, along with device-based pricing plans, though it offers less flexibility than Malwarebytes, with a maximum of three devices you can protect. Pricing starts at $29.99 per year for one device, with discounts available for multiple devices and longer subscription terms.
It is worth noting that Malwarebytes and Webroot can be used together to provide an additional layer of protection. Some users choose to use Malwarebytes as a secondary scanner alongside their primary antivirus software, such as Webroot.
Features of Malwarebytes vs. Webroot
The features of Malwarebytes vs. Webroot are considerably different due to their differing target markets. Depending on your needs and preferences, you may find yourself inclined to use a different type of software. Here’s a rundown on what Malwarebytes has to offer:
- Real-time protection: Malwarebytes Premium offers real-time protection, which actively monitors and blocks malware threats before they can infect your device.
- Ransomware protection: Malwarebytes has a dedicated ransomware protection module that detects and blocks ransomware attacks in real-time.
- Anti-exploit: Malwarebytes shields vulnerable software from being exploited by hackers and stops zero-day exploits.
- Scheduled scans: Malwarebytes Premium allows you to schedule scans at regular intervals to ensure your device remains malware-free.
- Multi-device support: Malwarebytes offers protection for Windows, MacOS, iOS, and Android devices, with the ability to manage multiple devices from a single account.
Here’s what Webroot features:
- Real-time protection: like Malwarebytes, Webroot provides real-time protection against viruses, malware, and phishing attacks, keeping your device safe from a variety of threats.
- Identity theft protection: Webroot incorporates identity theft protection features, such as secure browsing and anti-phishing, to protect your personal information from cybercriminals.
- Webcam protection: Webroot helps prevent unauthorized access to your webcam, ensuring your privacy remains intact.
- System optimization: Webroot includes tools to optimize your device’s performance, such as system cleaning and optimization features.
- Firewall: Webroot has a built-in firewall that monitors incoming and outgoing network traffic to prevent unauthorized connections.
- Multi-device support: Webroot is compatible with Windows, MacOS, Android, and iOS devices. Similarly to Malwarebytes, you can manage all of your linked devices from one account.
Malwarebytes vs. Webroot: So Which One is Better?
Our personal preference in this matchup is Webroot. While we think Malwarebytes is a strong program with a lot to offer, Webroot ultimately offers more features, particularly with its free version.
Webroot offers superior identity theft protection, webcam protection, and a firewall, all of which Malwarebytes lacks. Additionally, a number of Malwarebytes’ crucial features, such as scheduled scanning, require you to upgrade to Malwarebytes Premium.
The biggest advantage Malwarebytes has over Webroot is its pricing model. If you need to secure a large number of PCs and want to save money, Malwarebytes is a more budget-friendly option due to the additional discounts it offers for users who want to add more devices to their accounts.
However, if you only have one or a handful of devices you need to protect, Webroot is your best bet due to its better feature set.
The Bottom Line
The choice between Malwarebytes and Webroot ultimately depends on your specific needs and preferences. If your primary concern is malware protection and you want a lightweight, user-friendly solution with affordable pricing for numerous devices, Malwarebytes may be the better option.
However, if you’re looking for a comprehensive antivirus solution with additional features like identity theft protection, system optimization, and a firewall, Webroot may be more suitable.
Additionally, as mentioned earlier, you can use Malwarebytes and Webroot together to provide an additional layer of security. By utilizing both solutions, you can benefit from Malwarebytes’ robust anti-malware capabilities and Webroot’s comprehensive antivirus protection.
When making your decision, it is important to consider factors such as compatibility, system impact, user interface, pricing, and the features offered by each software. By analyzing these aspects, you can make an informed decision and choose the solution that best meets your needs and preferences.
Whichever program you choose, be sure to stay safe online!